Preschool Wonders Preschool Wonders Facebook Bloglovin Instagram Pinterest About Me My Classroom My Store Freebies Image Map





Saturday, October 10, 2015

Learning Disguised as Fun!

 I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday to tell about our week of learning disguised as fun, fun, fun!
This week we were able to take a trip to the zoo.  We learned about webbed feet and how they help different kinds of birds and animals swim.  The little ones then made a craft of a flamingo.
Then we took a tour of the zoo to view webbed feet!  
Lucky for us this swan was showing off her webbed feet.  :)
Our next stop was off to see the polar bear.  He put on quite a show for us!
It was so cool to see the penguin exhibit.  Everyone had SO much fun.
 We have been reading Laura Numeroff books.  After we read "If You Give a Cat a Cupcake", I placed letter tiles in small plastic cupcakes.
After the learners opened the cupcakes and got their letter out, they either named the letter or tried to figure out the letter name by saying the abc's until they got to the letter they needed. This was a way for them to try to figure out the letter on their own.
 Later, they played with kinetic sand to fill the cupcakes and tiles.  They had so much fun.
The nursery rhyme we focused on this week was 'Humpty Dumpty'.
 We acted it out while saying the nursery rhyme.
Then we made the page for our nursery rhyme book.  You can find the patterns HERE.
Our shape this week was trapezoid.  I had our sweetie pies complete this page later in the week to go along with the shape posters hung in our room.

One of the great things about being in an elementary school is learning what the kindergarten teachers teach their students.  They use the term vertices instead of corners, so that is what I am teaching my little learners.  They are doing amazingly well learning that a fancy name for corner is vertices.
You can find my shape posters with both corners and vertices listed, along with my student work pages HERE in my newest pack.
It's half price right now.  :)
Last week we learned about fire safety.
The little ones scribbled with white and gray crayons, and then cut out flames.
I hung the completed 'smoke and fire' on an easel. They took turns 'staying low' and crawling to safety.
We also practiced 'stop, drop, and roll'.
Everyone did a fabulous job.
We also painted construction paper t-shirts and then sequenced the steps to reinforce this concept.
We also made these adorable fire trucks to go along with our theme.  It's a great way to practice listening to and following directions.
I wil be posting about the patterns for these activities soon.
Go to Doodle Bugs Teaching to post about your week or read what others are doing in their classrooms!

Thanks for reading.  Have a great day.  :)

4 comments:

  1. I like your idea for practicing staying low. I will have to remember that one.

    I also am really happy I am not the only one teaching my students to use the alphabet song to help figure out the letter. We use the alphabet song to find the letter we need when we are using our alphabet stamps. I had someone recently make some comment about the alphabet song being useless but I can see uses just like you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our district uses Pathways reading program. We sing the song to the tune of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' to help with the whole 'l, m, n, o' blending. It really helps a lot!

      Delete
  2. Dear Lola,

    Will you tell me what company makes your plastic cupcakes please? I love how the tops come off & they fit the letter tiles.

    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: I bought them a few years ago at Walmart as with the Easter candy stuff. I have seen them since, too, so I would check Walmart and maybe even Target. They may have them during October for Halloween candy. If I see them again I will let you know where!

      Delete